About the governors
Lavant C.E. Primary Governors
Welcome to the Governors' area of the website. Here you will find details of our governing body and any news related to their work at the school.
The Governing Board
All governors are volunteers drawn from the local community with the aim of helping to support the School in providing the best possible education for its pupils.
Governing boards have three strategic objectives in support of the School's development and progress:
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Hold the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
Governors fulfil these objectives in a number of ways, for example:
- Help form the School's aims and policies;
- Support the Headteacher and staff in carrying out those aims and policies;
- Ensure the School teaches the National Curriculum;
- Set, monitor and review the school budget;
- Appoint and promote staff;
- Promote the School;
- Act as a link with the local community.
You are very welcome to contact the Chair or clerk about any matter relating to governance of the School - please ask at the School Office in the first instance.
The full governing body meets once each half-term. Committees meet at least once each term.
Our Governing Board (term of office in brackets):
Foundation Governors - appointed by the Diocesan Board of Education
- Incumbent of Parish Church - Rev Dr David Jarratt (ex-officio)
Staff Governors - elected by the School staff
- Mr Adrian King - Headteacher (ex-officio)
- Mrs Claire Spencer for 2 years (October 2020 ending October 2022)
Parent Governors - elected by parents/carers of children at the School for 3 years
- Mr David Peart (March 2020 ending March 2023)
- Mrs Melanie Belderson (October 2016 ending October 2019) re-elected (October 2019 ending October 2022)
- Miss Rachel Ellams (September 2018 ending September 2021)
- Miss Sally Steel (September 2018 ending September 2021)
Local Authority Governor - appointed by the Local Authority for 4 years
- Miss Caroline Rickard (July 2020 ending July 2024) (Vice Chair)
Co-opted Governors - appointed by the governors listed above for 4 years
- Mr Chris Hawker (September 2015 ending September 2019) re-elected (October 2019 ending October 2023) (Chair)
- Mrs Lorraine Foster (October 2017 ending October 2021)
Clerk to the Governors
- Mrs Carol Skeens
Governors with a role in other educational institutions:
Rev Dr David Jarratt is a director of Bishop Luffa Academy Trust, Chichester
Chris Hawker is a National Leader of Governance; he is also a governor at Central C.E. Junior Academy Chichester, Lancastrian Infant School, Downland Village Schools Federation and St Columba Academy.
There are no material interests arising from relationships between governors nor between governors and school staff.
See below for Governors' attendance record at FGB meetings during academic year 2019-2020