About the governors
Lavant C.E. Primary Governors
Welcome to the Governors' area of the website. Here you will find details of our governing body and any news related to their work at the school.
The Governing Board
All governors are volunteers drawn from the local community with the aim of helping to support the School in providing the best possible education for its pupils.
Governing boards have three strategic objectives in support of the School's development and progress:
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Hold the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
Governors fulfil these objectives in a number of ways, for example:
- Help form the School's aims and policies;
- Support the Headteacher and staff in carrying out those aims and policies;
- Ensure the School teaches the National Curriculum;
- Set, monitor and review the school budget;
- Appoint and promote staff;
- Promote the School;
- Act as a link with the local community.
You are very welcome to contact the Chair or clerk about any matter relating to governance of the School - please ask at the School Office in the first instance.
The full governing body meets once each half-term. Committees meet at least once each term.
Our Governing Board (term of office in brackets):
Foundation Governors - appointed by the Diocesan Board of Education
- Incumbent of Parish Church - Reverend Martha Weatherill
- Revd Dr Michael Semple (October 2022 ending October 2025)
Staff Governors - elected by the School staff
- Mr Adrian King - Headteacher (ex-officio)
- Mrs Claire Spencer for 2 years (October 2022 ending October 2024)
Parent Governors - elected by parents/carers of children at the School for 3 years
- Miss Sally Steel (September 2021 ending September 2024) (Vice Chair)
- Mr David Peart (March 2023 ending March 2026)
- Mrs Melanie Belderson (October 2022 ending October 2025)
- Mrs Ann Smith (March 2023 ending March 2026)
Local Authority Governor - appointed by the Local Authority for 4 years
- Miss Caroline Rickard (July 2020 ending July 2024)
Co-opted Governors - appointed by the governors listed above for 4 years
- Mr Chris Hawker (October 2019 ending October 2023) (Chair)
- Mrs Lorraine Foster (October 2021 ending October 2024)
- Mr Rupert Burton (September 2021 ending September 2024)
Clerk to the Governors
- Mrs Carol Skeens
Governors with a role in other educational institutions:
Chris Hawker is also a governor at St Joseph's Junior School Chichester, St Joseph's Infant School Chichester, Downland Village Schools Federation and St Columba Academy Farehm. he is an Associate Member at Heene CE Primary School, Worthing.
There are no material interests arising from relationships between governors nor between governors and school staff.
See below for:
Governors' attendance record at FGB meetings during academic year 2021-2022
Governors' update Spring 2022
Governors' Code of Conduct